Tuesday, November 30, 2010

INCREASES LEAD TO DECREASES

Natasha Norman grew up in the upper middle class city of Huntington Beach. She enjoyed the luxuries of a comfortable life until she got to college. She is now a financially independent fifth-year student at CSULB who is faced with the imminent tuition increases.

"I have to pay for my rent, insurance, and daily expenses on top of my expensive tuition. I don't know how I'm going to afford everything when the fees go up again. Something has to give I guess," she said.

She contemplates taking a semester off to save money for her tuition and she is not alone. Many students at UCs and CSUs are thinking of the same remedy to their tuition problems. Featured in an article in the Los Angeles Times, students and officials explain the increasing difficulty of staying in college and the possibility of a decreasing enrollment.

Although financial aid is helpful to many low-income individuals, middle-class students like Natasha suffer because their families are not eligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment